"I know not how it is, but this lamp on the post worketh upon me strangely. ..."

Friday, April 10

One

No way I can get all caught up in just one or two posts, so I'll split stuff up that I've been thinking about. No special order.

Myst. Everyone remember the Myst games and books? Oh how I adore those. I have Myst, Riven, Exile and all the books but I hadn't played any of the other games: Revelation, End of Ages, and Uru. Then my wonderful Nick downloaded those a few weeks ago. There are few pleasures (or obsessions) in life that rival playing a Myst game for the first time. Nick is very sweet for being patient with me in the week where I wanted to do nothing but play Revelation. Actually he's been especially sweet a lot lately - between Revelation and art stuff I've mostly been wavering between the rapture of discovery and the utter despair of things not working. With a manic sleep-deprived focused on only one thing look in my eye too. More on that later though.

I try not to let myself get too caught up in things like computer games and video games for a few reasons. One being that there really aren't that many which particularly interest me just from their descriptions. Another is that I rarely have anything to show for it afterwards other than lost time which could have been better spent being productive. I don't think I've played a new game of Myst since high school though, so this was lots of fun :) I love everything about the games - the characters, the puzzles, the artwork. I want to build houses that reflect the D'Ni styles of design. I love that the entire premise is a literal interpretation of something I've always known. A good book is a link to another world.

Nick won't let me start End of Ages till he's finished Revelation so I've started rereading the books again too. Love them :)

Side note: I wouldn't actually have started playing End of Ages right away. I have an insane pile of art stuff to go through, and I really do know my own limitations. Again, more on that later. If you all haven't given up on this hopeless creature up here.

No comments: