The Tale of Despereaux
Kate DiCamillo
I very much enjoy stories that have a fair bit of tragedy mixed in. I also know that mice can be some of the most chivalrous and daring and kind characters imagined. Go look at Martin the Warrior or Reepicheep. I defy you to find more admirable characters. So Despereaux is continuing a wonderful legacy when he is pulled away from his human princess and he shouts "I honor you!" desperately back to her.
Kate DiCamillo has become a very valuable author. She writes books that do not talk down to children and that deliver some hard truths and amazing promises all at the same time. Also vocabulary lessons. I'm afraid that to say too much more about the book would be to take away the joy of discovering it for yourself. So I'll just include the full title: The Tale of Despereaux, being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread.
Monday, July 14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment