A Misplaced Trust: Rediscovering Our Lost Identity and Mission
Dr. Will Langford
This won't be a normal book review. The reason is that I know the author of this book. He was the pastor of my home church for a long time before he felt called to minister somewhere else. He is a wonderful man, and an excellent pastor, and helped make a very bad transition in my life quite a bit better. This is his first book and he didn't ask me to review it. I'm an artist and I'm trained to critique and critique hard. If you ever ask me to review something, prepare to have it ripped apart in a kind and constructive way, provided I have the energy. You haven't seen that yet in this blog because the books I've read most recently have been pretty much excellent.
But like I said, Will didn't ask me to review his book, I just asked to read the signed copy he gave to my parents cuz I like him, and I liked the idea of the book, and really, I'll read anything provided it isn't moving to quickly. So I'm just going to talk about it's purpose and recommend it.
A Misplaced Trust addresses the place our churches have found in our current society. It's a particularly important book right now because it points out the way so many Christians have replaced living a Christ-filled life with voting in favor of the Republican party. As if by picking out the candidate that opposes abortion and gay marriage is the same as affecting our culture in a vital way. People who are looking towards the coming presidential election with despair should bear this in mind.
The church does not exist to put certain politicians in power. It exists to fulfill the Great Commission. Changing our world does not start with who you vote for, it starts with changing ourselves and our communities, with living our lives the way we were meant to. The majority of the book looks at the current state of most churches and tries to bring to light ways to address the problems.
Sunday, March 9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Though we obey the earthly authorities, moreover, we are subject to the authority of God. I remember you telling me about this book. It's been forever since I've seen Will. Goodness.
Post a Comment