In no particular order:
- Art in Me ~ Jars of Clay: I love the self-titled Jars of Clay album from start to finish, but this is my particular favorite (most of the time - it battles for first with Love Song for A Savior). I'm listing it particularly because it was playing in my car a lot this week, and because I have actually been able to spend a decent amount of time in my studio the past few weeks. More on that later.
- On My Own ~ Eponine in Les Miserables. Particularly the version sung by Lea Salonga: I happen to have had disk two of Les Mis in the cd player in my kitchen for about three weeks or so. This is the third song on the disk, so I listened to it a lot. And I love a good tragedy. So after I would hear it once I would often go back and listen to it again.
- Fidelity ~ Regina Spektor: I got to see the music video for this one a few weeks ago, and the music video made me like the song even more. It starts out with everything in her world being only in black and white. Not like old movies, but as though those were the only two colors she knew how to decorate in. And then she drops this porcelain heart necklace she was wearing and it breaks and all these pure pigments come pouring out of it. The last minute of the song is her playing in it, getting her face smudged in all the beautiful messy colors. Also Regina Spektor sings one of the songs in Prince Caspian that I liked. And yes, there were things in the movie that I liked quite a bit. Just not the movie as a whole. I'm really looking forward to Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
- I Love the Whole World ~ the Discovery Channel commercial that Nick mentioned: It has the line "I love Egyptian kings" as a scientist dusts off a mummy. Enough said. But it has a lot more too, and most importantly it has a joy in and respect for the world. And I like that.
- Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends ~ the new Coldplay album: I only got to buy this yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to decide which song I like best yet. But as a cohesive album I really love it. Not as many lyrics as before, which is really giving the music itself a chance to shine. Gorgeous and exciting melodies. It sounds like they are really growing as a band and not being afraid to push their music to the next level. But hey, I'm not really a music buff so maybe I'm full of it. I like it though, and that's what counts.
- Flying Horses ~ Dispatch: This might sound a bit crazy, but I think of this song as a modern prophecy. You know how in stories and fairy tales creatures are always making ominous predictions in riddles or what not. This song always makes me think of some Loa or Child of Oberon trying to make a prophecy and saying it this way partially because it's the only way it can be said and partially because he wants to have fun and confuse you on purpose.
- The Holly & the Ivy ~ Mediaeval Baebes: This song is just the way I like Christmas Carols. Old and English and sung that way. And I listen to Christmas music all year long provided its good. This past Christmas I made a cd collection entitled "Christmas Songs that are Actually Good". This song was the very first one on the list.
I haven't really been listening to "seven songs and seven songs only!" right now, so those are just the most recent ones that came to mind. But I suppose it gives you an idea of my thought process. Mostly thinking about all this music just makes me want an ipod.
3 comments:
oh no!!!!! songs i have never heard!!!!!!!!!!!!
^)^ Aww Beth thank youuuuu... ;)
Be happy I didn't post the other ones I've been tagged in. :p
Which ones haven't you heard erin? I thought you had heard *every* song *ever*!
Post a Comment