"I know not how it is, but this lamp on the post worketh upon me strangely. ..."

Monday, June 16

Meet Riley


This is Riley. Riley is adorable.

Here is the story. Once upon a time my mum and my brother and I all went to the humane society. We came home with a young kitten. We named him Agarn. Agarn was a wonderful cat. One of the best cats anyone could ask for. We loved him very, very, very much.

Agarn died in 2005. Sometimes I still walk into my parents house and start to say "Hi Agarn!" because he would always be by the door.

About a year later after Agarn came to live with us my dad came home from a hunting trip with a little bouncy talkative black lab puppy whose tail curled all the way around and touched where it began. My dad named her Tootsie.

Tootsie died last fall. I still say hello to her when I walk in the garage door of my parent's house. I can't help it. She was always there to greet me.

In between those two deaths, I got married and moved away. More recently, my mom's best friend for the past twenty years found out that she and her family are moving to Chicago. I'm crying just thinking about the pets I've lost and I have a house full of other pets. My mum is lonely.

So I decided she needed a kitten.

Coincidently, my kitty Rumpels' mum just gave birth to a litter of four. So Nick and I decided to get the very nicest kitten, take it to the vet and get it all checked out, and start it on it's first round of kitten shots.

A few days later we went for a surprise visit. I held the little kitten in my arms and held him out to my mum saying "He heard that you were the best mommy ever and he was hoping you could be his." I don't think she minded too much that her mother's day present was a couple of weeks late.

1 comment: