"I know not how it is, but this lamp on the post worketh upon me strangely. ..."

Sunday, April 13

Prince Caspian

Recently whenever I have started to reread the Chronicles of Narnia I have read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and then Prince Caspian and then had to stop so I could read something else for school or a book club or what have you. So it has been a few years since I last read the series in its entirety. Ergo, Prince Caspian has been my favorite of late. The writing style improves dramatically between the two books and there are dozens of wonderful lines I could quote to you from the latter. And although we see the ultimate depth of Aslan's love in the first book, it is in this one and the following books that I feel we begin to know him better.
......

"It is my sword Rhindon," he said. "With it I killed the Wolf." There was a new tone in his voice, and the others all felt that he was really Peter the High King again. Then, after a little pause, everyone remembered that they must save the battery.

"You mean you think we're no good," said Edmund, getting red in the face.
"Now pray don't be offended," interrupted the Dwarf. "I assure you, my dear little friends--"
"Little from you is really a bit too much," said Edmund. ...

Yet Lucy had the feeling (as you sometimes have when you are trying to remember a name or a date and almost get it, but it vanishes before you really do) that she had just missed something: as if she had spoken to the trees a split second too soon or a split second too late, or used all the right words except one: or put in one word that was just wrong.

"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."

It is a terrible thing to have to wake four people, all older than yourself and all very tired, for the purpose of telling them something they probably won't believe and making them do something they certainly won't like.

But all night Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

....

There are so many more I would like to include, but then I would just end up retyping the entire book. So I'll just say Reepicheep and be done.

Reepicheep!!!

2 comments:

erin richardson said...

i'm forever forgetting the storyline to Caspian .... mixing it up with puddleglum or tirian or ...

Beth said...

lol! Well, compared to Voyage of the Dawn Treader or The Silver Chair, the plotline is relatively simple I suppose.... Caspian leads a rebellion of the old narnians against his uncle Miraz the Usurper. In the process they call Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy and Aslan to help them. The kids and trumpkin get lost on their way to help. Then they all lay the smackdown on Miraz and the telmarines.