Note: This is probably my favorite title of all the Chronicles. My second favorite title being The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, cuz those three things just sound funny together. The other titles tell you something basic about the books, but I like how these two leave you wondering a little bit. And so, for a few quotes:
"Your Majesty would have a perfect right to strike off his head," said Peridan. "Such an assault as he made puts him on a level with assassins."
"It is very true," said Edmund. "But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." And he looked very thoughtful.
Second note: I also love how in every book that Edmund is in (or very nearly every book, I can't at the moment remember a specific moment in The Last Battle as I haven't read it recently) Edmund himself makes some mention of his time as a traitor. The book Prince Caspian has Edmund talking about how on their first trip to Narnia he was the worst of the lot. It is also mentioned that the reason Edumnd didn't have a Christmas gift was his own fault. In The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" Edmund tells Eustace "You were just an ass, but I was a traitor." Here we have a reference again. Aslan never mentions it though. Indeed, in Prince Casian the very first thing he says to Edmund is "Well done." Can you imagine anything better to hear from Aslan than that? Also, Edmund is my very favorite character in this series. People only read the first book and hate him, and I just wish I could make them all see that they are, in a way, really just hating themselves.
"I hear no conditions from barbarians and sorcerers," said Rabadash. "Not one of you daretouch a hair of my head. Every insult you have heaped on me shall be paid with oceans of Narnian and Archenland blood. Terrible shall the vengeance of the Tisroc be: even now. But kill me, and the burnings and torturings in these northern lands shall become a tale to frighten the world a thousand years hence. Beware! Beware! Beware! The bolt of Tash falls from above!"
"Does it ever get caught on a hook half way?" asked Corin.
"I was the lion." And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothin, the Voice continued. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
"Child," said the Lion, "I am telling you your story, not hers. No one is told any story but their own."
Wednesday, April 30
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment