"I know not how it is, but this lamp on the post worketh upon me strangely. ..."

Sunday, February 24

Tracts and Tips

Before I've stopped being a waitress for too long and lost all of my credibility, let me just mention a few things to everyone out there who may not have had the experience. My husband already posted a few things recently about how ineffective and inappropriate some tracts can be so I don't want to go into a lot of depth on the subject. I just want to put in my own thoughts on the subject.

Servers have a sucky job. That's not to say that it can't be enjoyable, but they have to put up with an awful lot of crap from an awful lot of people. Guests can be rude, demanding, messy, and condescending. Ever had someone whistle for you or snap their fingers for you to come like you were their dog? It happens. Parents let their kids eat in ways that I pray they aren't allowed to eat at home, and then the server has to clean it up (unless the restaurant is still fortunate enough to have a full time busser, and then that poor soul has to clean it up). Guests act as though they are the only customers in the restaurant and will often blame you for anything that goes wrong with their meal. And then of course they don't leave you much or anything of a tip. All this for the low low price of $3.50 an hour. Not even a year ago it was still just $2.43 an hour. There is a reason why servers often say that everyone should be required to work in a restaurant before being permitted to eat out.

I'm not trying to suggest that every guest acts that way. There are plenty of people who are kind and courteous and who will leave you fifteen percent. It's too bad they don't realize that fifteen percent is just what you leave for basic service. If you want to be nice to your server you've got to leave at least twenty percent. Remember, their wage counts on you leaving that.

I mention all of this so that people will think very carefully about their witness when eating out. If you really want to let your server know how awesome God is, then you better be the absolute best guest you can possibly be from the second you walk in the door. If you act like a jerk and then leave a tract on the table with a ten percent tip you are sending a very negative message. I should also mention that I have seen the majority of servers simply toss the tracts away, make fun of them, or leave them on the table to be bussed. The only server I know personally who actually enjoyed getting a tract is one who is already a strong christian. She didn't need them personally but she liked seeing what kinds of tracts were in use.

If you really are interested in affecting your servers life and not just trying to pat yourself on the back for your self-righteousness, then talk to your server! Come in during a time when the restaurant won't be busy so you won't be negatively affecting your servers job, and build a relationship. Become a regular. Don't be pushy. Just talk and try to show the difference in your life.

And don't go in on a Sunday. This is where I may start stepping on people's toes (if I haven't already). Once upon a time in America Sundays were a day filled with worship and fellowship. Now they are a day when stores are open to the public just like every other day of the week, it's just another Saturday. Oh, except all the people who do still go to church go out to eat afterwards and flood the restaurants to a point of overcrowding and get short-tempered with the wait and spoil any witness they might have as a church-goer. I have heard several servers say that Sundays are the worst days for individual tips. But the magnitude of people makes it so that you are busy enough that you have to work it so that you can get the volume of all the tips together. And then of course your server can't go to church even if they want to because they are trying to support themselves. Neither can anyone else at the retail stores that are open. So my plea? Avoid going places on Sunday. Make it a day of rest. Stay in. If you want to fellowship with friends after church, and by all means, please do, make it a pot-luck and have everyone bring something.

And, oh yes, if you have an ichthus on your car, consider how you are driving. Same type of thing. Your actions tell the world so much.

2 comments:

Zair the Wonder-Chilla said...

on this we are of one mind

erin richardson said...

I have never worked in a restaurant, but I did work at the deli in a grocery store. That was pretty awful. :-(