"I know not how it is, but this lamp on the post worketh upon me strangely. ..."

Tuesday, January 29

A Word on Lamp-posts...

I have an enthusiasm for lamp-posts.

You may have noticed that from the title and illustration.

If you have never heard of a place called Lantern Waste, and have no idea why there would be a lamp-post in the middle of the woods, then go away and read The Chronicles of Narnia right now.

Go. Now. It's for your own good.

Now then.

Part of the reason I love lamp-posts is because of the one that stands in Narnia. It is one of the first images we have of that land, and it is one of the first images that popped into C.S. Lewis' mind when he was thinking Narnia up without even realizing it. So they have sentimental value.

But I love the way that lamp-post shines even in the midst of that terrible winter. Even before Aslan comes "bounding into it" here is a symbol of the darkness of winter being broken. So in some way I see it as a symbol for the light that Christ can bring anywhere. Into any place, any life.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no delusions of my humble little corner of the internet having such grandeur or importance. My claim to the name is my love of the books and the fact that I have a lamp-post in my living room. Really.

Light in unexpected places.

1 comment:

erin richardson said...

Oh, goodness, Beth. I've forgotten how much I enjoy your writing. Here's to the rest of your entries, good health, and the peace and grace of God. A strange list, but all worth toasting.